I know we are all busy, sometimes the day seems like it doesn’t have enough hours in it to accomplish everything we need to. There are many things that we can do that take just a few minutes and yet will brighten the days of others and enrich your life. I have compiled some quotes to hopefully help you see that no matter how busy you are serving others is something that will change your world for the better, as well as the world of others…I have realized that the more stressful life becomes, the more beneficial it is to concentrate on helping others. I have also compiled a list of easy ways to serve others without having to give a lot of time…there is always something we can do, someone we can help.
Happiness… consists in giving, and in serving others.- Henry Drummond
The more generous we are, the more joyous we become. The more cooperative we are, the more valuable we become. The more enthusiastic we are, the more productive we become. The more serving we are, the more prosperous we become. – William A. Ward
Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.- Albert Einstein
I don’t know what your destiny will be, but one thing I do know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve.- Albert Schweitzer
How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.- Anne Frank
Giving frees us from the familiar territory of our own needs by opening our mind to the unexplained worlds occupied by the needs of others- Barbara Bush
Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.- Edmond Burke
If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain.
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain- Emily Dickinson
Happiness cannot come from without. It must come from within. It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we think and feel and do, first for the other fellow and then for ourselves.- Helen Keller
A lot of people are waiting for Martin Luther King or Mahatma Gandhi to come back — but they are gone. We are it. It is up to us. It is up to you- Marian Wright Edelman
An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.- Martin Luther King
Only those who have learned the power of sincere and selfless contribution experience life’s deepest joy: true fulfillment.- Anthony Robbins
So hopefully now you are inspired to do something…anything to help another who is struggling in the world. It doesn’t have to be a huge thing, sometimes all you need to do to brighten a persons day is to offer them a kind word, a smile, let someone go ahead of you in the line at the grocery store.
Here are a few ideas —
1. Write a letter, make a card, even send an email to a friend you haven’t talked to in a while. Let them know how much you care.
2. Make cards for seniors at a local nursing home. There are many elders who don’t have family around or who could use something to brighten their day.
3. Write a letter or email to military personnel who are serving abroad. Government websites often have links that enable you to send a card or letter to a vetran or a soldier who is serving for our freedom.
4. Make small “I care” packages for the homeless, hospital patients or women’s shelters. Include some toothpaste, toothbrush, combs, shampoo, etc.
5. Collect food or coupons for local food banks and drop them off.
6. gather clothing, food or small presents for the local shelter
7. Give a few hours of your time (take the kids with you) to a local shelter, soup kitchen, animal rescue or youth center. Give your talents and time and enrich your life and the lives of others.
8. Clean an elderly neighbours yard. If you don’t have time for that simply carry their garbage cans to the curb for them on garbage day or make some extra cookies when baking for the family and drop them off a few on your way past their house.
9. Offer to organize a car pool to the kids activities or school….Help the other busy parents and the environment.
10. Drop off some extra veggies or some flowers from your garden to a local shelter, nursing home or other person and brighten their day.
11. Make a thank you card for the people who volunteer at local non profit organizations, their receptionist, volunteers, etc. Let them know you appreciate their service….If you don’t have time to serve, thank those who do.
12. Attend a local charity event like the “Relay for Life” (I am dropping by the one that is being held here on Friday) to show your support.
13. Take some pictures at a local event and donate the pictures to the organizers of the event. They will appreciate it!
14. Make a meal or loaf of bread and take it to a sick friend or neighbour.
15. Take a tired mom’s children to the park when you are going to give them a break.
If you don’t want to or can’t leave the house to help then check out the click to donate sites listed on the side of my blog. They are free to you and help others…right from where you are sitting.
These are just a few ideas of small things that don’t take much time. I will continue to post some more ideas as time goes on. It doesn’t have to be a major commitment but I bet once you get a taste of how wonderful it feels to help another you will be searching for more opportunities to do so.